Study Permit

First, before you can apply for a study permit, you must have been accepted at a designated learning institution in Canada, and you also need to have the right documents.

In some cases, you do NOT require a study permit to go to school in Canada:

  • If you are enrolled in a short-term course or program that is 6 months or less
  • If you are a family member, or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada, accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, you may not need a permit to study in Canada
  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada; however, if your family members including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements already mentioned
  • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada

For any programs less than 6 months in length, you do NOT require a study permit.

All other programs, longer than 6 months in length, DO require a study permit.

Any program with a co-op or internship, DO require a work permit; however, you will not be eligible to work during your studies if:

  • You plan to study English or French as a second language, or
  • You plan to participate in a general or preparatory course

Furthermore, in order to be eligible for a work permit:

  • You must have a valid study permit
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution (DLI) and certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study

New rules that took effect June 1, 2015 make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus. Study permit holders are eligible to work off campus without a work permit.

For further information on study permits, their terms and conditions, and whether you are eligible to apply, speak to an immigration professional at Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell LLP for a consultation to discuss further.

Leaf Break