Tourists – B-2

This is the visa category by which most Canadians enter the United States, for purposes of pleasure such as touring, visiting friends or family or sightseeing.

There must be demonstrated intent to visit the United States on a temporary basis for pleasure. Applicants must be a citizen of a visa-exempt country (i.e. Canada or a visa waiver country), or else obtain a B-2 Visitor’s Visa in advance.

This is a speedy process by which a person can gain entry to the United States for non-business, pleasure purposes. A person cannot have permanent intent to reside in the United States or do business in the United States under this category.

Those in possession of a valid Visitor’s Visa or those who are citizens of visa-exempt countries (i.e. Canada and visa waiver countries) can apply for entry at a U.S. port-of-entry, which includes airports with U.S. pre-flight inspection. All Canadian permanent residents who are not citizens of visa waiver countries are required to apply for a B-2 Visa in advance at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Appointments are required.

Please note Canadians entering the U.S. by air must present a valid Canadian passport. If you enter by land or water after January 31, 2008, you must be prepared to present either a valid Canadian Passport or a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license) and a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. Persons 18 years and younger need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. Canadian citizens do not require a visa to visit the United States for periods of less than 180 days.

We can assist you in preparing to enter the United States as a visitor at a port-of-entry/pre-flight inspection or assist you in preparing an application to be filed at a Consulate. We can also accompany you for a consular interview in relation to a B-2 Visa.

Speak to an immigration professional at Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell LLP about your US business immigration needs, and they can help you develop a customized immigration strategy tailored for your specific circumstances and US visa needs!

Leaf Break