Students – F-1

This category is for students who will be studying in academic courses at a school in the United States that has been authorized to allow foreign students to attend.

The prospective student must have a home in a foreign country in which s/he will return when studies are completed. In addition, the student can study only at the institution designated by him/her in the application. The institution must be approved by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (INS). The student must also demonstrate sufficient financial support and maintain a full course of study. Due to security considerations, the names of foreign students are now entered into a tracking system when they are enrolled.

Students can be authorized to work on campus after the first academic year. Work in the form of optional practical training is available during student annual vacations, when school is not in session, at certain times when school is in session, and after the completion of certain course requirements or a course of study.

Other than optional practical training and on-campus employment, students generally cannot work off campus unless there is severe economic hardship, caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Applications can be made through the Consulate General in the student’s home country. In certain circumstances, applications from non-nationals will be allowed at other U.S. Consulates.

We can assist you in preparing to enter the United States at a port-of-entry/pre-flight inspection or assist you in preparing an application to be filed at a Consulate. We can also accompany you for a consular interview in relation to an F-1 Student Visa.

Speak to an immigration professional at Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell LLP about your US immigration needs, and they can help you develop a customized immigration strategy tailored for your specific circumstances and US visa needs!

Leaf Break