Federal Skilled Worker requirements to apply under Express Entry Program. Learn More

Federal Skilled Workers Eligibity

Federal Skilled Workers are the individuals with education, work experience, age and language abilities under one of Canada’s official languages either English or French and who are selected under the Express Entry Immigration system to apply for permanent residence. Minimum requirements for Skilled workers are outlined below.

1 Work Experience

Work experience must be in the same type of job as your primary NOC within the last 10 years.

Your work experience should be under skill type O, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC)

You must have at least 1 year of experience, it can be as per follows if it is full-time or part-time

Full-time at 1 job – You have worked full-time for 30 hours/week for 12 months which becomes 1 year full time and it adds 1,560 hours in total.

Equal amount of part-time – You have worked 15 hours/week for 24 months which becomes 1 year full time and it adds 1,560 hours in total.

Part-time at more than 1 job
You have worked for 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job and accumulated 1,560 hours in total, which becomes 1 year full time experience.

2 Language Ability

Take an approved language test that shows you meet the level for writing, reading, listening and speaking (English or French)

Approved English Test Program  – https://www.celpip.ca/ 

Approved English Test Program – https://www.ielts.org/

English – CLB 7 – Minimum level for all four abilities, writing, reading, listening and speaking.

Approved French Test Program  – https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/tests-diplomes/test-evaluation-francais-tef/tef-canada/

French NCLC7 – Minimum level for all four abilities, writing, reading, listening and speaking.
3 Education

If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian institute.

If you have foreign education you must get it evaluated from approved agency to make sure that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree  from a Canadian school, college or university.

Approved or designated education evaluating agency or institutions are as follows (ECA)









4 Proof of Funds

You have to provide proof of enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada. If you are coming as a skilled worker, unless you are currently able to legally work in Canada or have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada. The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family.

Share This Post: