Parental Sponsorship Online Assessment Canada Immigration
loader image

Parental Sponsorship Canada

More Information About the Process of Parental Sponsorship Canada

If you have moved to Canada but left your parents or grandparents behind in your country of origin, there is a system in place in Canada that will allow you to sponsor your parents or grandparents, and have them come to Canada as permanent residents. In the past, this program was run on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, as of the beginning of 2017 it has shifted to a lottery program, where you can submit an “Interest to Sponsor” form, in the hopes that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will invite you to apply. This form is available to submit only in the first month of each year.

If you are among the 10,000 potential sponsors selected by IRCC, then you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA).

If you are not selected to receive an ITA, then you will have the opportunity to show your interest to sponsor your parent or grandparent again the following year. Another option you may have is to apply for a super-visa to have your parents or grandparents visit you in Canada for an extended period of time, though this will not result in their obtaining Canadian permanent residence.

If you do receive an ITA, then you will have 90 days from the date you receive the invitation to complete your application, and submit all the supporting information and documentation to IRCC. Among other things, your application will need to satisfy IRCC that you have the financial means to support your parents or grandparents when they arrive in Canada, and you will be asked to sign an undertaking committing to the same.

It is always useful to have an experience immigration lawyer assist with any sponsorship applications that are submitted to IRCC. We have several lawyers on our processing team who have many years of experience assisting applicants with their sponsorship applications, and they know how to anticipate concerns that may be raised by Canadian immigration authorities, and ensure that the forms and supporting documentation adequately address these concerns.

Frequently asked questions about Parental Sponsorships

Your application could be denied if you have a criminal record or medical condition that is inadmissible to Canada. However, it will depend on the severity of the criminal record or medical condition. Any prior offences, charges, convictions, etc. have to be disclosed to your lawyer prior to commencing preparation of your application. You will be advised on how the criminal record would affect your application and what possible avenues or resolutions are available.

It should also be noted that in November 2017 the Canadian Government announced that it would be scrapping the policy to prevent foreign nationals with medical conditions from becoming landed immigrants in Canada. The specifics of that plan are not yet finalized.

Yes you can. There will be logistic considerations to be strategized as to where such applications should be processed in order to avoid the requirement of your parents having to leave Canada to execute their permanent resident status, but it is possible.

Yes. The Canadian government currently accepts 10,000 applications per year for processing.

Yes, dependent children who meet the definition of a “dependent child” can be included on parental sponsorships. Children qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:

They are under 22 years old; and
They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner of their own.
Children 22 years old or order (also known as overage dependent children) qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:

They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22; and
They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.

Yes, you may sponsor more than one person if you want to. If you are invited to apply, you can sponsor your parents and/or grandparents (separately in the case of divorce). To do so, you will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. Each application will be processed separately. You will also have to meet the income requirements for all people you apply to sponsor.

Further, invitations to apply are not transferable. For example, you cannot use the invitation to sponsor your spouse’s parents or give it to a friend or other family member. If your spouse also wants to sponsor his/her parents or grandparents, they will need to advise the person preparing the applications that they want to sponsor separately and see if they are randomly selected.

Why should you hire Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell to represent you?

Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell LLP is one of Canada’s largest and most established immigration law firms. We work with individuals, families, and businesses across the globe to resolve all types of Canadian and U.S. immigration issues. Regardless of how large or small your immigration problems may be, our firm is here to help you at every step of the way.

Our lawyers are highly skilled professionals who know how to tackle difficult immigration related challenges. Whether you are trying to obtain a temporary admission to Canada or the U.S., or you are hoping to permanently relocate, we have the knowledge, experience, and resources to help you achieve your goals. To know more about our immigration services, call on 1.855.465.2857 or book a consultation.