Traders – E-1

This category is for applicants from countries which have a treaty of friendship, commerce, or navigation with the United States, such as Canada, and the person represents a company, which will carry on substantial trade with the United States.

The U.S. office must do a substantial amount of its business or trade with the applicant’s country (i.e. typically at least 50 per cent of the company’s international trade must be with the United States). The company’s ownership must be comprised of at least 50 per cent from a treaty country.

The applicant is not required to show that he/she is going to be in the United States for any specific period of time, as long as the intention of the party is to stay in the United States for a temporary period, rather than a permanent period.

This category is unavailable for nationals of countries which do not have a treaty of friendship commerce or navigation with the United States.

Applications for Canadian citizens, permanent residents who are citizens of treaty countries, or temporary residents such as those with Canadian work permits that are valid for more than six months, can be filed with the U.S. Consulate in Toronto. The place of filing for other applications is dependent upon nationality. A personal interview will ultimately be required at the completion of the paper screening process

An E-1 application can be complex, and it is vital that the appropriate documentation be placed before the consular officer. We can consult with you to determine whether this is the appropriate type of application, and prepare complete application materials and submissions for the U.S. Consulate. In addition, we can assist you in preparing for the interview, and accompany you to the interview.

Speak to an immigration professional at Mamann, Sandaluk & Kingwell LLP about your US business immigration needs, and they can help you develop a customized immigration strategy tailored for your specific circumstances and US visa needs!

Leaf Break